Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown

Default Temp LP in place of Natural Gas

"RichK" wrote in message

"PipeDown" wrote in message

So propane has more energy per unit volume. The stove would be hotter if
you did not retrofit.

Sorry had the energy content backwards.

I assume Zero is right, I didn't check the fact

Could end up with a dangerous towering flame instead
of the cool flame you expect. Maybe you can throttle down the range top

but
the oven and water heater would be dangerous to operate.

I felt the stove is no problem, as you have good control over the flame
and
good visual feedback of what's going on.

If all you wanted was the stove, I would have suggested a gas BBQ

For the short term, if it is primarily a warm shower you are after,

For that matter, it's summer here, so even cold water is not that cold.
Or
a friends house.

Since I had it backwards, I did not feel there was any problem with lower
heat output. Water heater cannot control the flame, unless I change over,
which I do not want to do for a very short time. With the heat about 2.5
times it could accelerate the aging of the WH. Did not think the diff was
big enough for a short time to cause any serious harm.

And to Zero - yeh those gas bills will kill you, if you don't watch it
man.
You're very perceptive - consider doing palm readings too.

Regards,

RichK

I was about to suggest you look for a small propane tank WH and just swap it
out then I found this little beauty
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...32573917502498
at Wal-Mart of all places. Looks like you would need an adapter to use with
a bigger tank. Remember Propane makes lots of CO so don't use it indoors
without lots of ventilation.

I might just get one for camping and that earthquake that's supposed to
happen someday.