Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Stein

Default Antique Phone Junction Box in a 8-Plex

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

I live in a historic 8-plex built in 1937. Sometimes I have a noisy
line and the problem is in the junction box in the basement of the
building. The phone company has no parts for this box. For 8 apartments
it has 16 of these things that are about 5" long and a little bigger
around than a pencil. I don't know if they are capacitors or what.

The device is a protector dating to the early 1920s. That type was
replaced
by a newer model in the early 1940s. It certainly qualifies as an ANTIQUE
protector. It is telco property. The protector is a grandfathered
"demarc"
(demarcation point) - *NOT* a SNID (Standard Network Interface Device).

They are held in the junction box with a nut on each end.
If I tap on them or move them some it clears up the line.

That is a common issue when they are causing trouble or about to go open.

The phone company told me 8 years ago it's the
buildings owner responsibility to replace this box.

Nonsense. It is the PHONE COMPANY's responsibility to repair your line.
Harass them until they do. After x-period of time with no satisfaction,
file
a complaint with your state's public utility commission. Inform your
telco
that you have done so. They'll fix it then.

I think I've already mentioned that. The phone company has the
responsibility to replace it.

Can these things be bought?

No. The outdated protector should be replaced and an official Network
Interface installed. Keep at them and/or complain to the P.U.C. Good
luck!
--

JR

--