Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default help! chimney cleanout filled with water

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
ups.com...
The chimney is lined in both flues. I had a chimney co. come today and
after looking over the chimney they recommend a cleaning, cap, and some
kind of sealant spayed on the outside to stop water from absorbing
through the brick. While looking in the ash cleanout they noticed that
the brick was soaking wet, even above the highest point the water rose,
that's why they are recommened the sealant.

Sounds like more water than could be accounted for by absorption but give it
a try and see what happens next. Sounds mainly like a nuisance than an
imminent threat to your house.

I was dissapointed by my last chimney cleaner who identified a bunch of
problems but then could not give me a quote to fix it because he was not
also a mason, just a cleaner. Now I need to pay another guy for either a
quote or another cleaning where he can do a comprehensive quote. (cleaning
is only $15 more than a quote fee and it has been a year and my roommate
does like to burn paper so it is OK in the end)

In my case, there is so much missing mortar and cracked brick, they want to
tear it down to the sholder and build it back up. Supposedly cheaper than
repointing yards of mortar joint (plus there is apparently a point dictated
by code where you are not supposed to repair but rebuild). Fortunately I
have a 1 story ranch.