Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Temp LP in place of Natural Gas

"PipeDown" wrote in message

So propane has more energy per unit volume. The stove would be hotter if
you did not retrofit.

Sorry had the energy content backwards.

Could end up with a dangerous towering flame instead
of the cool flame you expect. Maybe you can throttle down the range top

but
the oven and water heater would be dangerous to operate.

I felt the stove is no problem, as you have good control over the flame and
good visual feedback of what's going on.

For the short term, if it is primarily a warm shower you are after,

For that matter, it's summer here, so even cold water is not that cold. Or
a friends house.

Since I had it backwards, I did not feel there was any problem with lower
heat output. Water heater cannot control the flame, unless I change over,
which I do not want to do for a very short time. With the heat about 2.5
times it could accelerate the aging of the WH. Did not think the diff was
big enough for a short time to cause any serious harm.

And to Zero - yeh those gas bills will kill you, if you don't watch it man.
You're very perceptive - consider doing palm readings too.

Regards,

RichK