Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land

Default Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

Sorry, don't know how that got switched on. It's set for " plain text
" again now, as it usually always is ...

So, aside from the formatting gripes, any comments on what I was
really asking :- ) ? It's a serious question that I'm interested in
answers to. There must be some posters who better understand the
chemistry of soldering and flux than I do.

It's all a matter of words.

Here's the deal. For decades there have been two classes of flux used
for soldering.

1. Acid. This contains strong chemicals to aggressively clean the metals
and is used only for plumbing and similar soldering. It must be cleaned
from the joint after soldering, or corrosion will occur. It has NEVER
been used for electronic work because of this corrosion.

2. Rosin. This is the only flux used for electronic work. It contains
such mild chemicals that it doesn't need to be cleaned after soldering.

Your worry is about "acidity", which is probably nothing to worry about,
as long as you stick to rosin flux and never, ever, use "acid flux."