Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Repairing.... curling tongs?!

Lobster wrote:
Daughter says her curling tongs are knackered (for the incogniscenti,
this is an electrical appliance looking like a large pink soldering
iron, which apparently you wind your hair round for some reason).

Had a look at the fuse - OK - then dismantled it to look for obvious
problems: none that I could see. Measured the resistance across the L
and N pins of the plug - it was 2.5 kohms; ie there was continuity in
the heating element. That resistance corresponds to a power of 23W
if I remember my O-level physics correctly. There's no power rating
on the tongs themselves. AFAICS the things aren't heating up at all.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Thanks
David

Probably a breakdown in that stuff(name escapes me) that insulates the
element.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite