Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Vent bathroom fan to ridge vent by constructing an adapter at ridge?

Mike wrote:
I've seen plenty of postings that one should not vent bathroom fans to
soffit or ridge vents. I completely agree about not using the
soffits. But how about using some blue foam, or other material, and
making some sort of 4" round pipe to ridge vent adapter. Think of
all the sheet metal HVAC adapters at home centers. But I'm thinking
of just fabricating something that custom fits my roof/ridge vent at
one end and a 4" round opening at other end. I can purchase a 4"
sheetmetal colar to make the round opening in the foam. This would
force 99% of the moist bathroom air directly out a portion of the
ridge. The foam adapter would protect the roof sheathing from
moisture, plus it's easily built on site.

Downfalls? reduced ridge ventilation for the attic - but I doubt
enough to have any impact

Appreciate any comments...

Thanks!

-Mike

I don't think I would want to do it. However if you insist remember
that ridge vent is not open and has a fairly high resistance at the air
speeds a vent fan would be using so you would guess you would need a few
feet of vent in order to get something close to the efficiency of a
dedicated vent.

I might add that most ridge vents I have seen have exposed wood surfaces
and that warm moist air would damage the wood deck. You would need to make
some accommodation for that as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit