Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default use compression or solder?

For the most part (in typical residential plumbing) hard copper pipe is
soldered except for a few things like supply valves at sinks, After that
they are useful for repair but I wouldn't use them in a new setup if only
for the vastly higher price per connection. Soft copper tubing usually uses
compression fittings.

Besides do they even have compression fittings for elbows, tees, 45s, caps.
One great advantage for repair is that they can actually be connected
without shutting off the water (yeah, its messy and you probably need to
open a faucet to keep the pressure low) or completely draining the pipe.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am wondering how "safe and effective" is to use compression method
instead of soldering for joint of copper pipe and fittings? I am not
comfortable with soldering, but not sure using compression is
"water-tight enough" for joint or not, thx.