Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Cost to replace Oil heating unit with Gas Furnace

"adsilva" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jim, thanks for the Quick reply. As you can see I have no idea what
I'm getting into. If you questions were directed to asking if I know
how my current system works - my answer is I don't know. This is a
house I plan on buying and it has an old Oil furnace that I want to
upgrade to a Gas one. I've been told by my agent that there is a gas
connector available in the neighbourhood as this is one of the only
homes that hasn't been upgraded.

Can someone advised if worst case there is no Ducts and we were doing
an install from scratch - What would it cost?

You really need more information. Just a few points.

Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. If it has ducts and hot air, you
have a furnace. If you have radiators or baseboard heat, you have a boiler.

Just because there is a gas line, it does not mean you can tap into it. The
gas company will give you that information. In my case, it would be $10k
just to bring the gas to my house. Yours can be 1k or 20k. Find out before
you commit.

Gas may or may not be cheaper than oil. Check rates and do comparisons.
You may save more by upgrading insulation and windows. In some regions, gas
supply has been short and they are not taking on new customers.

Removing an oil tank can be expensive. If the tank is in-ground it can be
very expensive. This will vary according to any environmental laws in your
state. Oil can be pumped out cheaply and easily.
What about the hot water? Does that have to be changed also?

Get a local heating contractor to look at the job and guide you. Real
Estate agents often don't know much about this sort of thing.