Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Crooked Double Glazing

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:

DiddyS wrote:

I had new double glazed windows installed yesterday and I noticed
that the glass panel in two of them is crooked in the frame. On an
opening window it is lower on the hinged side. It is similiarling
lop-sided in a non-opening window.

The fitter tells me that this is necessary to allow for "settling"
and is called "heal and toeing", but if this is correct then surely
the other windows (which are level in their frames) must be wrong.

I think he is spinning me a yarn. What do you think?

Yup. The whole point of 'heeling and toeing' is to firmly wedge the
glass sealed unit within the opening part of the window frame, to
PREVENT what might be termed 'settling'... the idea is that the sealed
unit is rigidly mounted to the window frame, bit like a splint, to
stop it from distorting. A uPVC frame without a sealed unit is very
weak, and can easily distort several mm in any direction, certainly
enough to prevent the window from closing in the future. Heeling and
toeing is always done with the window closed, so the frame is 'fixed'
in the correct position.

But this is all wrong! The glazing panel *must not* be used as a
structural component, as this will cause premature failure.

Are you disgreeing that the sealed unit imparts stiffness to the opener
(ie, and is intended to do so?)??

David