Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Pool Chlorine questions

"Bill" wrote in message
. 97.142...
After digging around in the newsgroups a bit it seems that this group
has the highest ratio of pool questions so here it goes.

We've just set up a 16ft by 4ft above ground framed with liner pool and
I'm working on getting a handle on how to properly maintain the chlorine
levels. I was thinking about getting one of the chlorine 'floaters' to
automatically dispense chlorine throughout the week but am wondering if
it will work properly if we keep the cover on most of the time.

Can anyone give me an idea if these floaters work out ok at all or point
me in the direction of something that does??

I'm trying to avoid daily having to remove the cover to add chlorine by
hand especially if we have rain and would like something in the set it
and almost forget it family, hence the chlorine 'floater'.

Having to take the cover off to add chlorine might be a moot point as my
kids (ages 5,7 and 9) have vowed to swim EVERY DAY so it's possible that
most of the time the cover will be off in the evening so I could add
chlorine or whatever I need but I'd like to cover my bases if the pool
is used but maybe not as much as projected.

Since this is my first pool I'm up to my eyeballs in 'facts' and
'information' that I have to sort through so any help would be
appreciated.

Bill

I learned this on my first new in ground pool -

Stabilizing the water is important. That is, the addition of cyanuric acid
(pool stabilizer) to cut down on the amount of chlorine that is given off
into the air. The stabilizer slows this down a lot.

Take a water sample to your pool store or Home Depot. They will tell you
what is up with it, and try to sell you all sorts of things. The one thing
they didn't try to sell me was stabilizer, as they wanted to sell me a lot
of chlorine tablets over the time.

A stabilizer test kit is a good investment, and you only have to test it
about once a year.

After you get the water stabilized, you can then test ph and all that other
stuff and buy what you need as you need it. Since one thing usually works
against the other, does it really make sense to buy all those things?

Start