Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

Default BGE Maryland, and an old electric bill

In Frederick County the electric comes from Allegheny Power...BUT I
just take my final bill and devide that by the number of KWH I used..
..
I forget about all those fees etc... comes out to be about 6.5 cents
KWH...and I use about 4000 of those suckers a month....bill is about
250 bucks a month....
That Rate to compare never meant much to me..the only thing I compared
was how big a check I wrote evch month...

But I though the NEW rates from BGE took effect JULY 1st... NOT NOW !

Bob G. .

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 00:32:12 -0400, mm
wrote:

I was going to post this with questions about it, but after writing
it, it seems only interesting to customers of BGE, namely, you two.

Arthur, you may not be interested in this, but you should know that
the 72% increase they keep talking about is only on the first line of
the bill, so it's really about a 36% increase. (a little less than
that for me last month) They said this, about being only on the first
line of the bill, at the very start of this tsimmis, 2 or 3 months
ago, but haven't said it since. But I'm sure it's true. Why doesn't
the tv news, and maybe the radio and newspaper, do a better job? Why
doesn't BGE point this out again, and again, and again?

Now you guys (on the home repair newsgroup) have me reading my old
electric bills, in Baltimore, Md, and I have one from 11 years ago
next month. It doesn't give as much info as they do now, but it gives
the meter reading -------
the dates June 21 to July 23, 1985
the units used 560
the rate schedule, R
the days used 32
the fuel cost amount included, 8.81, which is not important
and the net amount 46.24

560 is the number of KwH, right?

So 46.24/560 = 8.257 cents per KwH, right? Right.

Isn't that more than I'm paying now, which it says is 4.82 cents/kwh.
Well that number is misleading. It turns out I'm paying 0.156
cents/kwh more now. That's not very much. It's about a 2 percent
increase over 11 years. Why aren't they bragging about that?

Wouldn't it make the July 1st increase more palatable?

It seems to be 6.762 if one adds the per kwh charges together.
But the Delivery Service Customer Charge has been extracted from the
per kwh charge, and is now fixed, so that distorts things, compared to
11 years ago, when everything was proportional to the amount used.

If I take the whole bill,
40.13 and divide by 477 Kwh, I get 8.413
which is just a tiny bit more than 8.257
that I was paying in 1995

Isn't that interesting?

If my bill were greater, the fixed 7.50 charge would be spread over
more KwH, so my charge per KwH would be a little lower yet.

Now if the prices haven't gone up in 11 years, why doesn't BGE brag
about that?

My last month's bill:
Electric Details Non-Summer Rates in Effect
Residential - Schedule R, same as before.
Billing Period: Apr 18, 2006 - May 18, 2006
Days Billed: 30
Meter Read on May 18, Meter #G025460328
Current Previous kWh
Reading Reading Used
16389 15912 477

BGE Electruc Supply 477kWh x .04053000 19.33
BGE Electric Delivery Service
Customer Charge 7.50
Distribution Charge 477kWh x .02634000 12.56
State / Local Taxes & Surcharges:
MD Universal Svc Prog .37
State Surcharge 477kWh x .00013150 .07
Franchise Tax 477kWh x .00062000 .30
Total BGE Electric Amount $40.13

The CTC (Competitive Transition Charge) is $0.0026 per kWh
and is included in the Distribution Charge. [I don't know what this
means, but it is too small to worry about.]

BTW, my meter was changed about a year or two ago, so my usage must be
accurate, since it's the same range over 11 years, and probably much
longer. I have all my bills since 1972, but it would be a challenge
to find them, even the ones in Baltimore, since 1986.