Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

Default Hight Gloss Finishes for on top of oil based finishes? That are easy to use

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 05:38:01 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

: For a gunstock? Remember the old tables that would get white rings
: when you set a glass with some condensation on them? That was
: shellac. Don't get me wrong, I really like the stuff, but I don't
: think I'd use it on something that had any reasonable chance of
: getting wet.

The white rings only occur with shellac that has a high wax content.
Dewaxed shellac is very water-resistant. One of the prominent finishers
and authors (I think it was Jeff Jewitt) did a test involving
leaving standing water on dewaxed shellac, and found zero water
penetration after 24 hours, IIRC.

Really? That's good to know- I'll have to try it out. There have
been a lot of projects where I wanted to use it, but didn't care to
risk damaging my new project when someone set down a pop can on it, so
I used poly instead.