Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default Crooked Double Glazing

EricP wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 06:31:42 GMT, "DiddyS"
wrote:

Hi,

I had new double glazed windows installed yesterday and I noticed that the
glass panel in two of them is crooked in the frame. On an opening window it
is lower on the hinged side. It is similiarling lop-sided in a non-opening
window.

The fitter tells me that this is necessary to allow for "settling" and is
called "heal and toeing", but if this is correct then surely the other
windows (which are level in their frames) must be wrong.

I think he is spinning me a yarn. What do you think?

TIA,
Derek.

Sounds like he just ran out of spacers and couldn't be bothered to get
any.

Sounds more like he only had one per frame, which he tried to position
centrally, and he got that wrong too. Get them back. It's a 5 minute job.
When you hear the term "settle" or "settle down" from plumbers,
builders, car mechanics etc, take it to mean the job's not right but
they've run out of time and want paying anyway.