Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antique Phone Junction Box in a 8-Plex

Herb Stein wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I live in a historic 8-plex built in 1937. Sometimes I have a noisy
line and the problem is in the junction box in the basement of the
building. The phone company has no parts for this box. For 8 apartments
it has 16 of these things that are about 5" long and a little bigger
around than a pencil. I don't know if they are capacitors or what. They
are held in the junction box with a nut on each end. If I tap on them
or move them some it clears up the line. The phone company told me 8
years ago it's the buildings owner responsibility to replace this box.
He won't do it since I am the only one that has problems with it. Sad
but true I still use dial up and when there is noise on the line the
internet won't work. Does anyone know this junction box i'm talking
about? Can these things be bought? Thanks

probably the carbon pile lightning arrestor

you could offer to pay the phone company directly to fix the problem,
it will assure good workmanship and give you someone to complain too if
the repair doesnt fix it

how much $ is it worth

Thanks for telling me what it probably is. The phone company came out
about 6 years ago and said it couldn't be fixed. It lasted 6 years the
last time I fixed it. Now it's acting
up again.

That fixture is (effectively) your network interface and that should be
their problem.
They haven't used that technology in 30 years. Lean on them to replace it.

--
herb

How do you get a small rodent or animal out of your A/C duct? Started
hearing it last night and it stopped. Now I can hear it again and soon
when it dies it will stink. We have
C/A and you can hear it at the vent cover. My cat won't stay away from
the vent. He
knows. This is a bit off topic but since I have you here and you
probably know whats
involved in gaining access to this critter.