Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
BobK207

Default fanpower needed to cool house overnight

Lacustral wrote:
Joshua Putnam ) wrote:

Just double-checking, do you have a very small home? 4800 cubic feet
would be a 600 square foot house with 8-foot ceilings. A 240 cfm fan
*would* be enough to create a breeze you could feel in that small a
space.

Actually it's 640 sq feet (just measured it). x 8 feet high, = 5120 cubic
feet.

Laura

Stick a 3 speed 20" box fan in one of the upper room
windows.......blowing outward. Place a carboard shield on the sides as
needed to create a reasonable seal.

Open windows in the rooms you want to cool (open more windowns or open
them further in the "most impotant" rooms to cool)

The rooms with the open windows will cool FIRST & the room with the
fan will cool LAST.

Experiment with fan speed & window opening, adjust window openings &
fan placement to get the desired result.

fwiw I have a 2300 sq ft home in OC SoCal. It's a 1.5 story design
built in 1930 We typically get good nightime cooling (into the low
70's or less with low humidity) we can get temps in the mid / high 90's
& even low 100's.

I used to have a Nat Gas AC unit but it bit the dust & I haven't
replaced it.

A single 20" box fan funning on high speed will cool the house to
outside temp by morning & will provide a comfortable (& adjustable)
breeze in the bedrooms.

cheers
Bob