Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land

Default LCD computer display backlighting

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Tom Hotaling" wrote in message

I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the
right lighting I can still make out the screen so the digital display
seems fine, just no back lighting.

Any one have any experience with one of these, Dell specific or
generic. I looked through the SamG faq's but nothing jumped out at
me. Thanks

tomh

Surface mount fuses ( often 2A ) fail on inverter boards for no good
reason. Driver chips and drive transistors fail. CCFLs fail, though
usually just one, but some inverters will shut down with one tube
failed. Tubes are available on the net, as are inverter boards, but
original problem can often be fixed. Look for the fuse first. You
might strike lucky.

If it turns out you need to replace the lamps and/or the inverter, look
here for DIY info:

http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/shorts/lcdfix.aspx
http://www.lcdpart.com

There are also companies that will replace the parts for you, such as:

http://laptops.home.att.net/

(Disclaimer: I haven't done business with any of these companies.)