Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pooh Bear

Default Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder

Arfa Daily wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't do much soldering (obviously) but which is better and is less
prone to cracking in the future? The newer Lead-free rosin core or the
63/37 tin/lead rosin core? A store in my town only stocks these two.
This for a small circuit board repair project.

Also, What can I use to cleanup the dried-up rosin residue on the PCB?

Thanks

Lead free solder is specially formulated to fail after not more than 1
year because the landfill sites aren't filling up with scrap electronic
equipment fast enough!!!

As long as that ?? Panasonic and Sony must have got their formulations
wrong. Theirs fail after 6 weeks ...

When looking at how good ( ! ) lead free solder is, you might ask yourself
why the US military refuse to go near the stuff, and the avionics and
medical instrument industries are exempt from the new rules concerning the
hateful stuff, which are now spreading around the world ...

An exemption has also been applied for regarding pro-audio.

Graham