Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HDTV antenna recommendations

There are indoor ones, I'm having a hard time seeing how these could
work. I have an albiet old, functioning outdoor up in the attic. It
splits in two, then into four off the amp downstairs. The amp is quite
old.

Now I have seen ATSC at work, where the reception is worse. I asked the
boss and he told me there are two amps. They were installed decades
ago, and are of course not "HDTV ready", so I am assuming such a thing
will actually work.

Now I want to feed into a PCI ATSC tuner in a computer, and I know
these things need a helluva lot of signal. Even on NTSC it is snowy,
and can't aquire any ATSC channels. I know they are here, about thirty
of them.

Is it even worth a try to throw in a really good amp with a high MOL
and let everything else be taps instead of split ?

And, if this doesn't get us ATSC, or acceptably ATSC, should I even try
an indoor ? On NTSC I expect notoriously crappy reception, but then
multipath etc affect this differently. Do the indoor ATSC antennas work
even decently ?

The added problem is that it is a PCI card. There is simply not enough
room for a high gain front end. I understand this and figured I might
have to deal with it, but I thought our regular antenna would at least
get something. I even fed the whole output of the amp to it, still no
ATSC. NTSC was still snowy also.

This card was not very expensive, I have no problem feeding it with
whatever it needs, but I do not want to go buy the wrong thing and have
it not work. I want the first thing I buy to work.

If it matters, I live in Cleveland Ohio, near Harvard and Denison.
There is a cliff almost directly to the south of me, towards Parma,
where the towers are. My current antenna recieves all local channels
acceptably. If it is purely a matter of signal strength, perhaps all I
need is a kickass amp.

Thanks for any help on this. I would like to see it work before the
warranty runs out of course.

JURB