Posted to alt.home.repair
Lhead

Default Trouble with 2 Stroke - '90's Lawnboy

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Lhead :
It would be helpful if you knew what you were talking about. My 1986
(that's right - 20 years old) Lawnboy starts strong and runs stronger
that any push mower engine i've ever had.

My lawnboy is 3 years older than yours. So there! ;-)

It starts second pull every time, as long as I remember to tilt
the thing when I prime it, and the condensor hasn't gone bad, and
it hasn't been idle too many years.

Then again, the 1973 6HP Tecumseh 4 stroke wood chipper starts
first pull (except when the carb got gummed up after sitting
idle in the rain and snow for about 5 years).

And the 1970 12HP 4 stroke Kohler has always started quickly - even
with a blown head gasket. Except in the winter. Try starting
that LB at -30C sometime.

The kohler is considerably quieter than the LB except when it backfires.

And believe me, I've had a
lot of them, Briggs and Techmseh. You claim that 4 strokes are "usually
quieter", "usually easier to start". Wrong on both counts. My LB starts
on the second pull EVERY time and is the quietest mower I've had.
The great thing about the Lawnboy is that there are needle bearings at
the bottom end constantly bathed in clean oil. I'm seriously expecting
another 20 years out of this mower.

How can it get bathed in oil? It's a two stroke. It don't have no
oil bath.

Again, it would be helpful if you knew what you were talking about.
No, it 'don't have no oil bath' , whatever that is. But remember that
stuff you mix with the gas in a 32:1 ratio? Right! The oil!. Well,
guess what Chris, that same oil, because of the design of the 2 stroke
engine is pulled into and through the crankcase before it's burnt in
the cylinder. The oil bathes the bottom end constantly. And, with each
stroke a new charge of the mixture is brought in through the
carburetor. Ain't education wonderful?

I said _usually_. A decent 4 stroke Honda or the like with compression
reduction during start will start easier than virtually any 2 stroke.
And will be quieter given remotely comparable mufflers.

Certainly, 2 stroke has a considerable power-to-weight advantage over
4 stroke. At the expense of (usually) higher RPMS, more noise,
sometimes more difficult starting, and a smoke cloud of partially
burned oil.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est