Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

Default Why is caulking coming off?

"Mark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I caulked the joint between the bathtub and the ceramic tile surrounding it
about 3 months ago. I used an siliconized latex caulk which was
recommended to me. And I did a very good job of cleaning the area before
caulking, and I used denatured alcohol as a final cleaning agents also.

Now, 3 months later, it appears that the caulking is not sticking well to
the ceramic tile nor the tub, for that matter. In some areas, it's just
loose and in other areas it appears to be lengthening and hence little
curls/bulges every inch or so for about 6 inches.

I'm about to remove all of the caulking and use 100% silicone caulking
this time.

Before I do so, does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

--

Did you have the tub full of water when you applied the caulk? If not, that
could be a cause of it. When a tub fills it does settle a bit, with some

Second possibility is that the caulk was old, there are expirations.

Best bet, GE Silicone II Kitchen/Bath caulk. Clean all the old off, then
clean it again. Fill the tub. Dry all the edges and let it air dry for a
while. Apply the new caulk keeping the tub full for a minimum of over night
(longer if possible).

Good luck