Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair
kony

Default terastation pro internal power supply replacement.

On 7 Jun 2006 13:11:16 -0700, "aragorn"
wrote:

ian,

Repairing may indeed be an option I could chase by trying to find a
shop that still does these things. And your explanation may help there.
I am not an expert in PSU's, but I did make some pictures and wonder if
you could take a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/84753662@N00/
(look pictures right down to left up).

pic(063) gives a nice top level view. I am sure the biggest
condensator(?) (the one at the right) got toast because it got slightly
deformed and "bled" some juice. I don't know about damage to the
others.

Yes that cap is 200-something volts, it needs replaced. You
may also find some of the transistors on the (in pic 63)
right-side heatsink need replaced. An example of how to
check BJTs with a meter after removing them,
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/3.html
Of course you should also carefully inspect other components
and the traces, and if I'd repaired this I would hook it up
to a dummy load to take readings before reconnecting to the
mainboard.

The rest of the caps are likely fine. As Ian suggested as
the second alternative you could use an autotransformer to
tap half the mains voltage to run this, or any typical 2:1
voltage (travel) converter is what you'd typically find in
stores... the transformer type, not the tiny triac(?) type
that is only for resistive loads. Given the device you
should look for at least 150W rating if not more (more is
nice but depending on the price-break, no need to overdo
it).