Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair
Paul

Default terastation pro internal power supply replacement.

In article .com,
"aragorn" wrote:

aragorn wrote:
snip
Aragorn.

Following up on my own note.
Thanks for the many replies. I will look into the PDF link.

The System is a Terastation Pro (

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...&categoryid=19
), not a Terastation which is shown in one of the repliers links. They
have different power supplies. The one in the Terastation is a closed
box PS, the one in the pro is a PCB based one

I posted pictures (vga quality) of the power supply on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84753662@N00/
intention is to view them from bottom right to top left.

- Size PCB is 10-15.5 cm
- Specs required is 100V-240V, 50/60Hz, 0.6A
- Small sticker on the PCB reads:
85310056 RU US (first R in mirror writing)
GS TAM 0603

Aragorn.

If you look up 85310056 he

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...RAME/index.htm

you end up with an entry from a company called Tamura. The "TAM"
on the label, nicely correlates. But none of the entries
in the list on this page, seems to match this exact supply.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...374&sequence=1

Judging by the wiring on the device, it puts out +5 and +12
(red and yellow), and those voltages are used by the disk
drives. The ratio of wires suggests the supply is rated for
1.5x as many amps on +12V, as on +5V. And with four disk drives
in the unit, to be safe you'd need at least 12V @ 10A capability
to spin up all four drives at the same time. (Once the drives
finish spin-up, the current drops back to about 12V @ 0.5A per
drive. Some equipment uses staggered spinup of the drives, so
not as large a power supply is needed.)

I tried looking on tamuracorp.com , but cannot match that unit
with what is on their site. If shopping for a replacement,
finding the exact connector style (1x10 output) would be a
challenge.

The 1x5 AC input power header seems to be some kind of standard,
but I don't know what the pinout options are.

I am curious about one thing. How did you manage to connect
220V to the unit ? If the unit came with a North American
plug on it, it must have been a bit tricky to plug it in.

Paul