Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Spaltinig recipe??

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:21:16 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

A while back, there was a thread on spalting, and some one (maybe Leo?)
had
a mixture that they used to induce spalting. I'm going to cut some limbs
this week (Ash, Sycamore, hackberry and pecan), some 6 inches or more. I
want to try spalting on these, but I'm not sure what to put in my
"spalting
soup" to get the right bacteria to start the process. Any one remember the
ingredients for this??

I've heard (but *not* tried,) that urea will help promote spalting-
this was in the context of a surf-board maker, not a turner. Perhaps
the easiest thing to try, but I don't think I'd want to spin it on the
lathe afterwards!

Not sure urea will help bacteria that feed on lignin and cellulose. They're
everywhere in the woods, so no inoculation required. Warm and damp are the
recipe. Above 18% is the mark, but keeping them at the FSP ~30% would
preserve the shape as well. Some say set them on end, but that has produced
rot on the ground and split on the top for me, with little to be proud of in
the middle. I lay them right on the ground, cover with damp shavings and
turn 'em after a few weeks to even the progression. Leave the bark, cover
the ends.