Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default Hight Gloss Finishes for on top of oil based finishes? That are easy to use

redice wrote:
: I am looking for something with low toxicity that I don't have to wear
: gloves to apply or applies well with just a brush, something that can
: be fixed if something does happen like I can sand it back down and re
: do it without adverse affects, I mainly use linseed oil and I believe
: its Dutch oil? or a mix of linseed other things to add pigment/color to
: the linseed, but I want a finish to go over my color that will give it
: that wet hight gloss or semi gloss look.

Probably your best bet is shellac. Can be as glossy as you like
(or dulled with steel wool), is easily repaired and stripped, and
cheap. The solvent is alcohol; in commercially mixed stuff,
like Bullseye, it's likely going to contain some wood alcohol, so
apply in a room with ventilation.

: Warning labels tend to turn me off to products. It will be used for
: finishing custom made pistol grips and gunstocks so needs to be able to
: take handling type wear and continue to look good.

For that, maybe a varnish liek Waterlox would be a better bet.

Exposure to the solvents in most finishes, in the amounts we
use, is not going to harm you. A couple of possible exceptions
are lacquer, and
a finish I once used made by Behlen called 'woodturner's finish".
I don't know whjat was in th latter, but it made me a bit ill using it.
And lacquer thinner is pretty toxic to breath, over time anyway.

-- Andy Barss