Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a vinyl fence

Normally the gate posts have rebar and concrete halfway
up the tube. Since one side of it is going to brick then you only
have half the work.

Make sure that the gate itself is installed first. (you can make
the gate or have it made. When installing it make sure you have
a few inches under it to clear the ground.

Use the rope line from the center of the post of the brick to
the last post. I would take a 4 foot level here and there to
make sure things are plumb and level. Depending an how
much fence you are using, RENT a hole auger!
Using a pole digger SUCKS if you have allot of holes to dig.

Are you using the home depot stuff or going to a real fence
company and getting better fence. No offence to people
who use the HD stuff, but its not that good quality (the use
wood supports in it) while others use steel on the bottom
brackets. The HD stuff also comes ONLY in 6 foot lengths.
The ones the fence companies usually use are 8 footers.

Tom

David DeBoer wrote:
Hello,

I am going to be installing a vinyl fence this weekend. I'm looking for
some tips. What is the best way to make sure the posts are all at the same
height? Also is there a trick to making sure the posts are perfectly lined
up? I'm concerned the fence will end up being twisted and facing different
directions. I'm up in central New York. How deep should the holes be? How
much gravel and concrete will I need per post? Lastly there will be a gate
connected to a brick wall. Any thoughts on how best to latch it to the
wall?

Any thoughts on these questions and anything else will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks...