Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default SPA -- replacing a 120V heater with 240V heater

In article , Bud-- wrote:

To heat the water faster you would need a higher wattage heater. The
same wattage heaters will draw half the amps at twice the voltage.

That's because a heater that delivers, say, 1200W at 240V is *not* the same as
a heater that delivers 1200W at 120V. A heater operated at 240V delivers four
times the power as _the_same_heater_ operated at 120V.

Otherwise voltage doesn't matter.

Try again.

Suppose the heater delivers 1200 watts at 120V. Thus it draws 10 amps, and, by
Ohm's law V = IR, its resistance is 120 volts / 10 amps = 12 ohms.

Now push 240V through the same heater. Again, V = IR, where V = 240 volts and
R = the same 12 ohms... thus I = 20 amps.

Now calculate the power... P = IV where I = 20 amps and V = 240 volts... P =
4800 watts.

--
Regards,