Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

Default Getting Shocked at Sink

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Check, or have an electrician check the grounding system on your electric
service. If it's installed properly and intact, this shouldn't happen.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello- I seem to have some stray electrical current in my sink drain
pipes. When I turn the sink on I get a noticeable shock from the
water. The shock only occurs when I've let the water run for a few
seconds, and only when the water is flowing through the pipes.. no
shock if i put a bucket under the faucet. I opened up the wall to test
the voltage on the cast iron down pipe and get about 25 volts, and no
voltage on the copper plumbing. Also there is about 3 feet of ABS
drain pipe between the sink and the cast iron pipe. I am assuming that
there is an electrical short somewhere along the cast iron pipe and
when the water is running through the ABS pipe it jumps from the cast
iron through the flowing water to the sink , and then goes to ground
through the copper plumbing. My problem is tracing the source of the
electricity. I have narrowed it down to one circuit breaker, but
that's as far as I get. Any tips on how to trace the stray current, or
ideas of what is going on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance. John

Ground is only part of the problem, you shouldnt get shocked even if the
ground is bad. To which breaker did you narrow it down? I had something like
this happen an found my garbage disposal was not GFCI protected. new garbage
disposal and replacing the existing breaker with a GFCI type cured the
problem Oh yes the ground was open at the disposal. I hate to think these
electrical connections had been made by an eletrician. The plumbing under
the sink wasnt any better. Probably same guy did both.