Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house

Default fanpower needed to cool house overnight

I don't know how many cubic feet I have, but my house is about 1600 sq.
ft. and I have 10-foot ceilings downstairs, 8 feet upstairs. When I
put my box fan in an upstairs window and open windows downstairs, I can
literally feel the breeze coming up the stairs. The method that works
best for me is to open windows at night and put the box fan in the
window blowing out, which exhausts the hot, stale air in the house and
brings in the cool night air. During the day, I keep the windows
closed and curtains pulled where the sun is coming in. I don't open up
again until it cools off in the evening. My house is well insulated
and has good windows but, at 100+ years old, is far from airtight.
This method works really well except during periods of hot, humid
weather when it stays hot at night. At that point I resort to a couple
small (5K) air conditioners and put my box fan on the floor to
circulate air. It's not high tech, but it works great.

Jo Ann

Joshua Putnam wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is that other people's experience? That taking cubic feet of airspace to
been cooled, multiplying by the fan's CFM, times a fudge factor of 2-3,
would give you about how long it takes to exchange out the air in the
airspace?

I just need to exchange the air on about 4800 cubic feet. Not
to have the fan strong enough to set up a breeze you can feel.

If I were exchanging the air 2-3 times/hour as you suggest, that would
be a 240 CFM fan. If I were only exchanging air every 2-3 hours that
would be a 40 CFM fan.

Just double-checking, do you have a very small home? 4800 cubic feet
would be a 600 square foot house with 8-foot ceilings. A 240 cfm fan
*would* be enough to create a breeze you could feel in that small a
space.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/