Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm

Default Loose Sink Taps

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
The plastic nuts are pretty crap once they need re-tightened; it's a
toss-up as to whether they strip the threads or split. Obtain a pair
of brass nuts and go at it; just be careful when tightening up against
whiteware, use a rubber/plastic washer underneath. What will help is
bedding the tap base on some mastic, putty, silicone so that once it
sets, there is less dependence on the tightness of the nut alone, as
well as it sealing against water.

I'd feared as much but replacing the nuts will require me to remove the pipe
to the tap and I'm not very experienced with plumbing matters, is it a
simple job?

Go for the split top hat option. No need to remove plastic nuts. Nuts
have gone up threads OK so no problem stripping them if you are
loosening them.

Needs a lot of brute force to strip plastic threads though they can be
a sod it they are tight. The basin spanner tends to round off the flats
of the nut.

If you can run them down the threads it is a 10 min job without even
turning off the water.