Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Odd Bob

Default Frugal ways to kill ants?

(Gary Heston) wrote in news:128clc6aefg7e49
@corp.supernews.com:

In article ,
Steve G. wrote:
I am house sitting this year and the house (and walls outside)
have been invaded by ants. They form lines and march all day
and night. I did buy some cans of Raid Roach & Ant Spray and
Ant Spray but after it dries, they return almost immediately!

The spray only kills the ants you spray; it doesn't go back to
the nest and deal with the colony.

Is there a frugal (home-maid) solution someone could suggest?
The Raid is expensive and does no good anyway. I was thinking
about ammonia but not sure if it is dangerous.

Ammonia doesn't kill them, it just confuses them.

I just dealt with an ant problem using a mixture of honey and
boric acid powder, in roughly equal amounts, placed in a couple
of plastic caps from juice bottles (64 oz Ocean Spray bottles,
not small bottles). Put a layer of honey about 1/8" (3mm) deep
in the cap, then add enough boric acid powder to make a paste.

Place in or near the ants' paths; occasionally add a few drops
of water to keep it soft. It'll take a week to ten days (have
to get all the new hatchlings) but then they're gone.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Gary

Is "boric acid powder" and "Borax" the same thing? I tried that once and
it didn't seem to make any difference...

-- Bob