Posted to alt.home.repair
First and Last

Default Granite slab counters cut too short.

Darrell Dorsey wrote:
Is a top mount or a slide in? Is it stainless ? You might be able to
have a
trim made of metal? stainless. It would have to look like part of the
cook
top, that would the tricky part. This would have to be at there cost I
would
also get a price on the granite. Another option would be a larger cook
top
( most are a standard size) And they pay any additional cost. I'll bet
they
measured the finished edge and forgot to deduct the over hang.

It's a slide in and and a bigger stove would not work since the edges
of the cabinets are still 30". The problem is the granite tops do not
go all the way to the edge of the cabinets like they are supposed to.
At least an inch too short on both sides of the range.

If the gap between your cabinets is 30" and the slabs dont go to the the
edge of the cabinets, then they royally screwed up.
I just had some granite tops in my kitchen. We decided to go with a slide
in stove. In either case the old stove and the new slide in are 30" wide.
The granite is flush with the sides of the cabinet and the stove top over
hangs and covers the space between the stove and the cabinets. We also have
about a 4" wide piece that was glued/seamed in at the back of the opening.
This allows the slide in stoves rear flangs to slide over it.

Why on earth they would make the slabs short of the cabinet edge would be
beyond me. They should do that over. I think a seamed piece would look
terrible.

Our tops were around $3800. At that price they'd better be right.

Darrell

I want to at least see what wood caps stained to match the cabinets
would look like before dealing with the hassle of another tear out over
1 inch gaps. I think they could look good if they are well done. The
granite installers can pay for a skilled woodworker to do a custom job
if I don't like the way it turns out with the contractor I have working
for me know. If I don't like it at all, then I won't go that way.
The face of the cabinets are 30 inches apart, but the actual outside
"walls" of cabinets on each side of the stove are about 32" apart. The
face of the cabinets overhangs the walls and they measured the granite
to the cabinet walls instead of to the gap in front. I suppose if the
sides of the face of the cabinets could be cut down and a 31-32" wide
range could be slid in that space. Do ranges in that size exist?