lane

Default Building a wood splitter cheaply

"Don" wrote in message
m...
I am interrested in building a wood splitter for my father.
Admittently I like buiding stuff but have no experience with
hydraulics. I do have an 11 horse riding lawn mower engine with
electric start. (Old Briggs)

Can I do this cheaply? Is it possible to use an old single stage
hydraulic pump from a factory or something? (If I could get it cheap).

Any ideas on how hard this would be?

You don't say how cheaply!
It's not hard, just costs some money. At a minimum you're looking at a few
hundred dollars. The cheapest hydraulic valve I could find was about $80 at
Northern Tool. I spend about a hundred just on fittings and hoses. The used
4" cylinder costs me $50 and it was a bargain I feel. A pump is going to be
more, and then if you have to buy any steel, well add that on. I figure I
spent about $350, for a splitter that if I bought would be $1000-1200. Some
people asked me if I wanted to make them to sell, and I said no. I
wouldn't/couldn't make any decent money on it and compete with those already
on the market. At the time I had more time than money. If I was short on
time and had the money, to me it would have been better to buy one.
Just my 2 cents worth.
:Lane