Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paver Stone Patio Next to Large Oak Tree

Dick Adams wrote:
Greg wrote:

I am preparing to install a paver stone patio in our backyard but while
I was excavating I started hitting some decent sized roots only 6 or so
inches below ground level from an oak tree. The oak tree is only about
3 feet from the proposed patio. My concern is that after a couple of
years this will make my patio uneven over time. I was wondering if
anyone out there has any suggestions?

I have no problem with severing roots as long as they are severed
a few feet beyond the drip line. I've done it to three trees
and they are all still there 20 years and 12 years later. But I
fed and watered them very well.

3 feet is too close and WILL make the tree a prime candidate for
uprooting in a decent wind storm. I plant trees and am opposed
to removing them unless they are dead, dying, or an eye sore.

To work around the roots is going to be a lot of digging plus
pouring gravel and sand and then laying brick as a foundation
for the patio.

I suggest getting your County extension service involved.
They may have some bright ideas.

Dick

might be better to build a low deck over the roots out of wood like
substance