Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default BGE Maryland, and an old electric bill

On 6 Jun 2006 10:14:11 -0700, wrote:

I don't know anything about .115 . Where did you find that? In the
paper? at bge.com?

The new rate is on your most recent bill. Again, I don't have it in
front of me, but it's close to that.

The paper bill is around here somewhere. Their webpage is amazing.
Have you seen it? It gives a window about 4 lines high to look at the
bill! One can scroll up and down. (Another four lines' worth are
unused, except for a link "FAQ" in the middle of the top line!)

So I dl'd the whole bill in pdf just now, and instead of naming the
file BGE-bill-May06.pdf or BGE-bill.pdf, they called it viewSrv .
They're in their own little world. Like I'm going to remember what
that means in a couple months. So I have to go to another program to
change the name.

Maybe we get billed on different days, because what I printed
yesterday is from my last bill, and doesn't have this new rate. My
last billing period ended on May 18. Maybe yours was after that.

Mine says:
Your Price to Compare is 4.82 cents ($.0482) per kWh.
When shopping for electric suppliers, compare this price to those
proposed by other companies. This price reflects the average
annual amount a customer on this schedule pays per
kilowatt-hour for BGE Electric Supply. [the first line of their bill]

4.82 isn't a rate on this bill or the sum of any rates, so it must be
higher than this month's rate because it averages in what they charged
me last summer when rates are higher (or what they plan to charge this
summer. I'm still on the non-summer rate through May 18, so summer
might only be 3 months long.) That's what they mean by "average
annual amount".

Tbey plan to update the billpaying part of their webpage last Sunday,
I think, so you should look at the old one soon before they get rid of
it, to see how bad it is. Used to be worse. You could pay the bill
online but the amount due stayed the same, so if looked like you
hadn't paid at all. They didn't even have text to say that the amount
was the amount of the last bill, not the amount owed. If you weren't
sure if the payment took, there was no way to check (except maybe via
your bank). But after a couple years, they recently fixed that.