Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default help on asbestos popcorn

wrote in message
ups.com...
The accoustic ceiling in my home was tested positive for asbestos.
Specifically 2 - 3% asbestos (type: Chrysotile). I have called several
contractors to give me a bid for cleaning it up but the question I have
is (and this may sound like a stupid question) but is this amount
hazardous? I posted here to get an objective opinion that wasn't
influenced by some contractor wanting to make a sale and making me pay
for something that ultimately isn't necessary.

Thanks.

The only time asbestos is a hazard is if you inhale the dust (fibers) from
it. In order to remove the popcorn, it has to be moistened and that prevents
dust and associated problems.

I never had mine tested, We just scraped it off and painted the ceilings.
IMO, it is NOT a problem and you can save a bundle of money doing it
yourself. Messy, so wear some protection.