Posted to alt.home.repair
jtees4

Default Opening up the pool and need help!

On 5 Jun 2006 17:38:18 -0700, "Dee5" wrote:

I just bought a new house that has a large above ground oval pool in
the back. During the winter it was covered, no other winterization
techniques were applied.

I used a sharp vac to suck the excess water
off the cover but it must have had a small hole somewhere because I
noticed the water level in the pool dropping; it was leaking on to the
cover and I was sucking it out.

Well after I realized this I attempted to remove the cover but it was
so heavy from taking on water that I couldn't get it off without
dumping the excess water (and the leaves) into the pool. When I
initially removed the cover, the water wasn't that bad, slightly green
but still mostly blue. Now it is more green than blue.

I have started using the net to collect the leaves from the bottom of
the pool and am using the vacuum to remove them as well.

I bought sildate (I prefer it to chlorine) and an algaecide as well but

I don't know what to do with them. What is the step-by-step process to

getting my pool ready for swimming? Do I have to get all the leaves
from the pool before I start adding stuff to it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I had to dump my cover into my pool when opening it last week. Long
story..I was alone and couldn't pull it out so I just let it go. Pool
was completely green. I manually took the leaves out (I bought a leaf
type skimmer thing..worked really well) I threw in shock. I ran the
filter at the same time. I had to backwash the filter every half hour
or so. I probably did this about 5 - 6 times. I let the filter run all
night. Got the few remaining leaves the next day and the pool was
fine.