Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Mary Fisher

Default [OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Apparently there's a something on the stamps - I can't remember the words
but some smarty pants here will insert them. Photo something perhaps ...

can't be bothered raking through the remaining grey cells :-)

If there are any stamps which display this 'code' on an envelope or
packet
it will make the whole sum of the stamps, even if all the others are
coded
as 1st class, be shunted into the 2nd class system.

At least, that's what I was told by Royal Mail.

If you hold stamps up so that light is reflected off them you can detect a
narrow band on 2nd class, and a broad band on others. However AIUI if the
sorting machinery, which uses this band of whatever it is to turn
envelopes
the right way up, detects one 2nd class stamp only it treats the item as
2nd
class, but if it detects a broad band, or more than one stamp, it treats
it
as 1st class.

I'd like to think so, but that's not what Royal Mail told me.

Mary

Peter