jim rozen

Default Can I use my drill press as a mill?

In article , Doug Goncz says...

The spindle bearings and supports are not really that strong in a sideways
direction so you will have to go slowly.

Actually the bearings are.

A matter of degree. Small drill presses typically
have half inch diameter spindles that run in two small
electric motor grade bearings, about 6 or 8 inches
apart on the quill. There is no real attempt at
preloading them in opposition.

Compare that with a bridgeport J head spindle,
which is about 1/5 inch diameter, and runs at
the bottom on two angular contact bearings that
are preloaded accurately. Then there's another
single bearing about four inches up inside the
quill.

One will probably never take the drill press
bearings or spindle to failure by using for milling.
But rigidity is another issue...

Jim

please reply to: