Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange A/C Problem??

Bishoop wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm curious as to why you bother leaving the A/C on if you are going to
be away from home for several days. Seems like a waste of electricity
to me.

Here in Florida and other humid areas it is a good idea to leave the A/C on.
But the setting can be something on the order of 80*, just to keep the
humidity down in the home. Otherwise mildew will be a worse problem than
the small amount $ spent to keep the A/C running.

I live in a humid area (Baltimore) and would be OK leaving my AC off
all summer if my house were unoccupied. Having said that, the OP's
real problem is that they do not want to leave on an unreliable A/C
unit when they are away on vacation. In this situation I'd probably
just get a dehumidifier and use it and leave the A/C off. Assuming
that they could find a way to get it to drain into a drain, it should
be OK.