Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spa does not heat water

Mys Terry wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 02:21:13 GMT, Ignoramus11409
wrote:

I have an old 120v spa. It had trouble previously, which I fixed by
replacing GFCI outlet a couple of years ago.

It developed a new problem, which is t hat it does not heat water.

The pump, the timer etc, all work, but the water stays lukewarm (we
have warm days). I set thermostat to the highest position, but it does
not help. I am a reasonably electrically handy person (plz do not
suggest to "hire a pro", at least yet), but I would like to know what
typically goes wrong.

thanks

Could be the heating element.

Beacuse the heating element can be easily damaged in a matter of seconds by a
lack of water flowing over it, most spas have a flow sensor that detects of the
water is not circulating properly. This sensor will keep the heater element off
if it detects little or no water flow. Could be as simple as cleaning the
filters.

Some heaters have a little red pilot light on the end that tells you
when they are on. And some heaters have a thermostat of their own,
seperate from the temp sensor of the spa. These are set to high, as a
back against overheating.

Basicly, you need to find out if power, 120V in your case, is getting
to the heating element. In small spas, the heater is frequently
located under the power pack, with the end accessible. They do fail
from time to time. To replace it requires draining the spa,
disconnecting the power, unhooking the wires from the heating element,
and then unscrewing it. To replace, use teflon tape on the threads
and reassemble.