Posted to alt.video.vcr,sci.electronics.repair
Bill

Default SONY vcr with stereo problem

Thanks for your replies,
Played around with tracking, menu settings, no change. Also played a tape I
made in a friends hifi vcr, and no stereo. So definately both recording and
playback affected. Any more ideas?

Bill

"b" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill ha escrito:

Hi all,

I have a Sony Hifi VCR from about 1998. It's a 4 head machine and the
model
number is SLV-X825. It no longer plays or records in stereo. It still
receives broadcasts in stereo, and the sound is excellent, (in fact
better
than my brand new digital set top box) and the picture remains crystal
clear, but tapes are all in mono now. If I put a factory made movie in
it,
the stereo light flicks on for a split second and then dissapears. It's
not
a fault with the stereo light, as the equalizer on my amp indicates both
channels working on identical levels all the time when a tape is playing.

Does anybody know what this might be? If so is it an expensive repair?
I'd like to keep it going as it's an otherwise excellent machine and I
have
heaps of tapes.

cheers

Bill

first check the menu options. then see if you can play one of your
recordings on a friends stereo vcr.
-B.