Posted to alt.electronics
sean

Default Electric Problem

If you have magneto ignition (a magnet in the side of the flywheel that
energises the spark coil) - You'll be able to kick-start the motor with all
the wires disconected

terminal 3 goes to the ignition (it'll probably be a thin with with
thickish insulation) 1 or 5 goes to the battery negative or chassis
of the bike

2 and 4 are the battery positive and lights etc

Bye.
Jasen

Thanks for this info, that's very helpful. My wiring diagram
of the bike shows the word magneto next to a rectifier and
CDI ignitor so I assume I must have a magneto ignition.

So points 2 and 4 are both +12v? ( Red and Green show +12v
when testing with the Black wire. Does it matter which +12v
goes to which point? I'm guessing it doesn't as either way,
the points are connected together as soon as the ignition is
switched ON.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Sean