Posted to alt.electronics
Jasen Betts

Default Electric Problem

On 2006-06-03, sean wrote:

I have an electrical problem which I am hoping to solve. Basically I have a
moped with an ignition switch which has 5 points. I also have 4 wires which use
to connect to these points. However, I have no idea of the correct wiring as I
have no wiring diagram.

I have used a meter to determine what connections are being made on the ignition
points when in the 'ON' and 'OFF' state and noted the different connections
being made. I am presuming when the ignition is switched ON, connections are
being made within the ignition itself, which makes the 4 wires connect in a
specific way to create a working circuit and then enables you to start the bike.
And when the ignition is switched OFF, the circuit is broken and power is lost
to the bike.

Heres a rough diagram of the ignition barrels points:

IGNITION OFF

1________5
\ /
\ /
2 \ / 4
\ /
3

Point 1 connects to point 5
Point 5 connects to point 3
Point 3 connects to point 1

IGNITION ON

1_______5

2_________4

3

Point 1 connects to point 5
Point 2 connects to point 4

If you have magneto ignition (a magnet in the side of the flywheel that
energises the spark coil) - You'll be able to kick-start the motor with all
the wires disconected

terminal 3 goes to the ignition (it'll probably be a thin with with
thickish insulation) 1 or 5 goes to the battery negative or chassis
of the bike

2 and 4 are the battery positive and lights etc

Bye.
Jasen