Posted to alt.electronics
sean

Default Electric Problem

On 5 Jun 2006 16:29:34 -0700, "brianorion"
wrote:

sean wrote:
I'm not an electrician but I've worked on lots of vehicles including
motorcycles.I can't figure it out from what you provide but I can tell
you that of the wires that go to the switch,at least one will be "hot"
all the time,the "hot-wire". You need to experiment and find which post
that wire goes to so that other circuits are activated when switched to
"on". There will be one or two for the lights,turn indicators,break
light,one for ignition,and I can't think what the others would be for
on such a simple vehicle. Just get the ones to the lights and ignition
to get juice in the on position.I should be real easy.

Thanks for your input. My only concern with attaching any wires to the ignition
points without fully understanding what would happen kinda worries me. Can I
cause any big damage if I connect the wrong wire to any point on the ignition?
There are a few fuses on the loom but I'm guessing I could still cause damage.

Also are you saying that just one wire attached to the ignition switch will
start the bike?

Regards,
Sean

Actually it would take two; the "hot wire" and the wire to the
ignition. If you just twist these two together you can start the bike.
Iff all the wires are disconnected just measure from the hot wire to
each post and see which ones if any are grounded.(you will get a
reading). Try this in both on and off possitions. Rule out any that get
a read-(you're looking for the post to attach the hot wire to).Also
measure between the hot wire (from the battery) to each other wire to
see if one is a ground wire but bhetter to just trace it back and
look..If you found a post that was grounded,connect and ground wire to
this post.I am only guessing here that there MAY be a ground wire. It
should be easy.If you do it all with the meter 1st you don't have to
worry about blowing a fuse (unless there is a short in the system of
course)- cougar

When you say 'grounded', what does that mean exactly? The
only wire that does not show a voltage is the black/white
wire. Is it possible this is the grounded wire? I am
presuming the red wire is the 'hot' wire as it comes from
the batteries positive terminal