Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM

Default Spaltinig recipe??

I've had great success spalting silver maple. I just put it in a plastic
bag when fresh cut. Let it sit in my garage for about 3 to 4 months during
the warm time of the year, turn it once in a month, and voila, beautifully
spalted silver maple. This doesn't work well with other woods, silver maple
though, is fool proof.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to induce spalting on some silver maple that I have. I put
a layer of shavings on the ground, got them wet, then put an end cut
piece of dogwood that was very spalted on the shavings. I then put the
silver maple on the dogwood, added more water, more spalted dogwood,
water, more shavings to cover the log sections, and more water, then a
tarp. I will let it stew for a while, and keep checking on it to make
sure it stays damp. and see how it progresses.

robo hippy

wrote:
SORRY
And here's the link, GG

http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Artic...us_Amongus.asp

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Ken Moon wrote:
A while back, there was a thread on spalting, and some one (maybe
Leo?) had
a mixture that they used to induce spalting. I'm going to cut some
limbs
this week (Ash, Sycamore, hackberry and pecan), some 6 inches or
more. I
want to try spalting on these, but I'm not sure what to put in my
"spalting
soup" to get the right bacteria to start the process. Any one
remember the
ingredients for this??

Another question: Are there external signs that will indicate that
the
spalting has reached an adequate coloration? I'm concerned about
stopping it
too soon, and having a bland piece or leaving it too lang and have it
so
mushy it can't be turned without adding CA glue or other fortifier.
Any
guidelines? TIA

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX