Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Lowe

Default Post Hole Borer - landscaping question.

I'm doing a bit of hard landscaping in the back garden putting in some
Marshall's woodstone posts and sleepers. the posts are 150x150mm x
600m long and need 200mm of their depth concreting in.

The Marshalls catalogue says they need to be a concrete base of
300x300mm x 200mm deep.

So far I've done 4 posts - dug 250mm deep - put 50mm of 10mm gravel in
the bottom of the hole to level them up and they look pretty good.

I've got 20 more posts to go but hate digging - the hire shop has a
petrol post hole borer but max dia is 250mm which won't leave as much
concrete around the post as a 300x300mm square hole.

My plan now would be to bore a deeper hole - say 600mm - fill up the
bottom 400mm of the hole with concrete to a depth of 400mm and some
rebar that's say 550mm long - then when that's gone off - (time isn't
important) pop the posts in and concrete up to ground level.

I'm kind of thinking that the extra depth of concrete should make up
for the smaller cross section.

Any major reasons not to do it this way ?

Regards

Steve.
- Steve Lowe
- E-Mail :
- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM
- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net