Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
mm

Default fanpower needed to cool house overnight

On 05 Jun 2006 17:08:16 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:

(Lacustral) writes:

I'd like to use an exhaust fan (fan from a ceiling grille to outside) to
run overnight in the summer, with the windows open, so that my house is cool
in the morning. I'm not sure how much CFM is needed. I don't want a big
powerful whole house fan because I'd like it to be quiet. Just a small
fan that keeps running overnight.

I had a wholehousefan growing up. It was large, but it wasn't that
loud.

We had one too, but it was before they invented speed controls. And
it was only 4 feet from my head (and then go up to the ceiling). So I
hated the noise.

My mother had also given me an alarm clock that ticked. Life was
hell.

But I revolted and demanded an electric alarm clock, so she got one
out of the closet, and we actually turned off the fan before bedtime.
Life was pretty good, come to think of it.

But now they have speed controls which makes all the difference.

The thing to know about fans is that you can have a large one with a
relatively low rpm, with a solid well constructed motor that moves the
same volume of air as a smaller one wizzing at deafing volume and rpm
with a cheaper motor.

My gut--without researching anything for you--is that a variable speed
whole house fan is probably what you actually want.

I must say that the whole house fan must have moved 100 times as much
air as my little bathroom fan. Maybe 500 times, although Im just
guessing.

Since I'm here, I'll express my preference for roof fans.

Best Regards,