Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default Hanging heavy window boxes to house

a handyman with a drill and longer lag bolts and a studfinder may be
all that is needed. you might lighten the weight by reducing the
ingredients of the window box dirt. check with your gardening store for
their tips appropriate to your climate and rainfall for a filler.
alternatively, consider hanging them from the deck or porch railing, or
perhaps placing them along a walkway or on the porch.

user wrote:
I need to hang some heavy window boxes. The brackets are wrought-iron, the
boxes are wood. When loaded up, they are heavy. My house is shingled. The
brackets have two vertically-spaced holes on each end. Would a lag screw
work? Does a lag screw hold if the tip has gone through the sheathing? What
about large hollow wall anchors? I can't be sure that I will hit studs.

Thanks.