Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

Default Dark Cricles in Granite Countertops?

On 5 Jun 2006 20:10:33 -0700, First and Last wrote:

It looks pretty similar to the photos posted in stoneadvice forums
though. I'll see if the dark circles start to fade out in a few more
days. The granite company has not come out to look at it yet. I just
reported it to them today since they were closed on the weekend. It
has already been 3 days though, so I think it would have faded away by
now if it was going to fade anytime soon.

If they are oil they will never fade, just spread out more. If water, then
they will dry out and disappear. I put in a granite kitchen floor once. It
wasn't sealed. No one told me anything about sealing. When I left it had
stains. I'm sure now, ten years later, it has lots more.

Not all granites are absorbent. I have granite counters now and with no
sealing they don't absorb anything. The grain is very large and obviously
tight. It goes by Rudy Red or Imperial Red, and probably other names. This
appears to be the same granite that I put in a bathroom once on the floor
and for the sink top. Again, it never absorbed any water at all. And I know
we didn't seal it.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).